Open Gardens Canberra is managed by a committee of volunteers. Each year at the AGM OGC members elect office bearers: a President and Vice-president, a Treasurer, and a Secretary, according to the Rules of the association.
The role of the Secretary is described in the Rules (see section 17) and includes:
- Taking and circulating minutes for ordinary meetings and the Annual General Meeting
- Coordinating the venue for meetings
- Maintaining and holding OGC corporate records
The role of Treasurer is also described in the rules (see section 18) and includes:
- Assisting volunteers to collect and properly receipt funds received at open gardens
- Receiving all amounts owing to the association and making all authorised payments
- Keeping correct, audited accounts of the financial affairs of the association
All incorporated associations must have a Public officer to act as the contact between the association and the Office of Regulatory services (ORS). The role of public officer is described in the Associations Incorporations Practice Manual .
The committee also includes volunteers in roles such as membership secretary, volunteer coordinator, publicity coordinator, website editor and garden selectors. All committee members may assist with:
- coordinating individual open gardens
- suggesting or selecting gardens
- funds management from open gardens
- writing or editing items for the website
- writing items for the newsletter or other publicity
- organising OGC events
The committee works together to achieve the goals of Open Gardens Canberra and to prove that in committees as in gardening, many hands make light work.